Students often face challenges when introducing and concluding essays. Composing a powerful conclusion is critical since it leaves a lasting impression about the theme’s significance.
However, not many students know how to write a conclusion since it has so much to express. You must state your viewpoint on the theme matters and explain the position of your findings and recommendations briefly.
Though it may seem simple, concluding your piece is usually trickier than composing an introduction. While introductions start with a general overview and end with a specific statement, conclusions begin with a recap of specific points rather than a general theme overview.
Therefore, you have to convince the audience without forcing them to agree with your perspective. If you understand how to end an essay effectively, you will leave the readers with points to ponder about, and they might agree with your analysis.
What is an Essay Conclusion?
An essay conclusion is the last paragraph that ends an essay or academic paper. It summarizes the research and arguments to assist the audience in understanding the value of your paper. A conclusion paragraph recaps your initial opinions while posing a rhetorical question to the intended audience.
What is conclusion recap, summary, and thesis restatement? These are phrases that students often use in conclusions. Read below to understand their meanings:
- Recap: It entails incorporating main ideas again on the main essay to refresh the audience on the theme’s essence.
- Summary: It is a short explanation of the significant arguments discussed in the main paper.
- Restatement of your thesis: Here, you must paraphrase the thesis statement in one sentence. It is usually an expression of the central theme.
You must incorporate the above aspects and a final note that impacts the readers. Understanding how to write a conclusion for an essay is essential in unifying the theme and winning over the target audience. However, do not add any new information, repeat the introduction, or review the body.
Do Not It (While Writing A Conclusion)
While knowing how to write a conclusion paragraph is crucial, some drawbacks can break your essay. We have compiled a list of do’s and don’ts to give you more insight on ways to conclude an essay effectively. Below are pointers to avoid when writing a conclusion:
- Do not repeat the introduction. Do not rewrite the introduction in the conclusion section is a big blunder that you should avoid at all costs. It is confusing and reveals your incompetency to the audience.
- Do not sum up all the paragraphs. Since a conclusion summarizes the major points, summing up all the body paragraphs is a wrong approach. It will beat the essence of the conclusion paragraph.
- Do not state new arguments.The conclusion section is about summarizing significant points. Introducing new information confuses the readers since the aim is to recap the main points and emphasize the arguments. Thus, avoid it because it is challenging to persuade readers with new arguments at the last minute.
- Do not lean on personal thoughts only.Ensure you incorporate valid findings from your analysis rather than leaning on your thoughts entirely. An effective conclusion must be objective and fair without forcing the readers to agree on your point of view.
- Do not get too emotional or excited. At times, you may be passionate about a particular topic because of personal reasons. Such a situation is tricky because you can get too emotional or excited; thus, compelling the readers to follow a particular direction. Leave room for them to make their decision after putting down your paper.
- Do not undermine your argument. It is imperative to communicate your stand regarding the essay. Ensure your perspective is clear and to the point. Do not weaken your viewpoint; for instance, if you say that another point of view is right or both sides have good arguments, you will compromise your essay’s effectiveness.
Do It (While Writing A Conclusion)
It is imperative to know how to start a conclusion paragraph since it might make or break your essay’s impression to the audience.
Below are effective ways on how to write a strong conclusion:
- Do state your main points. You must say that you have demonstrated all your points through comprehensive research and valid findings. Recap all the main points in the paragraph to emphasize the importance.
- Do rephrase the thesis statement. Rearticulating the thesis statement gives a new outlook and understanding of the analysis, findings, and recommendations.
- Do mention the major arguments. You should also mention a summary of all the topics from the body paragraphs. Capture the major arguments discussed in the paragraphs.
- Do maintain a positive tone. Finally, end your essay conclusion positively to captures the readers’ last thoughts. Maintain an objective tone that will not leave a bad taste about your analysis. It is essential because you want your audience to understand the essay’s importance.
Give a Reader Something to Think About
A powerful conclusion makes a reader think about the topic more after putting down the paper. You can achieve this effect by asking a provocative question that will leave your reader pondering the next decision. It clearly states your perspective regarding your analysis, and the question prompts the reader to reflect. You can read a conclusion example online and draw inspiration on how you will conclude your essay.
- Сan compose the sentence as a call for some action. It can be a statement that prompts the audience to act upon recommendations. Apart from that, suggest solutions and options for solving the particular problem in your analysis.
- Predict the issue. if there is no implementation of the recommendations, there might be consequences.
- Ending your conclusion with a warning phrase will trigger curiosity among the readers and leave them wondering.
Students who know how to write a concluding paragraph will impact the readers immensely to side with their perspective. They have a better chance to persuade the readers and have closure on the topic with adequate evidence.
Furthermore, good conclusion sentences must be clear, concise, and to the point. Leave your readers with a desire to investigate your analysis more to get closer to the truth.
Phrases to Avoid
Ensure you know how to end a conclusion using proper phrases. Most students often use common phrases as starters to a conclusion sentence. Avoid using phrases such as “in conclusion,” “in summary,” “generally,” “as I conclude,” among other starters that are cliché. The readers already know that the research paper is ending; thus, incorporating a phrase like “in conclusion” is unnecessary.
Below is a conclusion example with a phrase that you need to avoid using:
AVOID: “In conclusion, domestic violence can be solved through a joint effort.”
USE: “The problem of domestic violence can be solved through a joint effort.”
You can only use these common phrases as transition words in your paper; they usually weaken your first word to start a conclusion sentence. Do not bore your readers because these cliché phrases state the obvious.
An effective way on how to write a concluding sentence that communicates clearly to the target audience is the use of concessive conjunctions. It brings out the significance of specific perspectives while highlighting the background of another viewpoint. The approach compares and contrasts both perspectives objectively while revealing the writer’s stand regarding the issue.
So What Game?
The “So What” is an approach for achieving a killer conclusion. It is a concept that writers often use to help them compose better conclusions. The notion behind it leaves you with a question, “so what?” after reading the concluding statement. Or “who cares”? Then, you have to think about the question and answer it relating it to the essay.
Here is a conclusion paragraph example
“The government should implement free college education. Many teenagers who fail to join college or university face numerous challenges, such as unemployment, financial constraints, and homelessness. Due to their situation, most opt to engage in crime and drug abuse to find temporary solutions.”
This conclusion states that college education is important to teenagers.
So what? It is essential since it causes the teenagers who can’t access college education to engage in criminal activities and drugs.
Who cares? Society cares because education will save the adolescents from following a dangerous path to becoming better citizens in the future.
After answering the question, the reader refers to the introduction to refresh and identify the essay’s central theme. This approach takes the audience straight to the start. For instance, if your introduction entails a full description of a particular setting, make sure you include the description in the concluding sentence. It validates that the analysis is significant in developing new perspectives.
Proceed to recap the main points by paraphrasing your sentences. Not forgetting to link your ideas and findings to prove the theme’s importance. Make it more convincing by throwing in a quote or two from seasoned experts in the extensive research you carried out for the essay.
Finally, propose solutions or recommendations regarding the particular issue on the paper.
If you apply the “so what” approach, you will eventually understand how to write a good conclusion for an essay and communicate your perspective to the audience.
When writers include prediction conclusions, they may assume that their findings will not change in the near or distant future. Writing a conclusion paragraph using prediction emphasizes your perspective and leaves the audience with valid questions. Essential phrases to use in this approach are “when” and “if.”
Below are prediction conclusion paragraph examples:
- “Corporal punishment is an effective way to discipline stubborn children. However, it is harsh and should be avoided at all costs. If we want a better society devoid of violence, we must enforce it home by instilling responsibility and better habits”.
If? The writer believes that the society would become a better place if children do not encounter corporal punishment from parents. That violence begins at home, and parents should step up and teach children responsibility.
“When people change their sedentary lifestyle and adopt exercises, they will become healthier. We must also strive to eat healthy meals to prevent diseases. However, people should practice moderation to avoid severe consequences on their bodies and brain.“
When? Once people adopt healthy habits, the future will become better with fewer diseases.
Therefore, use any conclusion approach that resonates with your research type, audience, and theme.
After completing all the other sections, the conclusion is the only part remaining. If you research many concluding sentence examples, they usually comprise transition words or starters to the sentences.
Below is an example of a concluding sentence:
“Using marijuana harms people’s health. Therefore, the government must ban this drug.“
Understand how to write a good conclusion for an essay by first having an outline overview. It acts as a road map to help you construct and organize ideas and in a logical flow.
Below is an example of a conclusion template:
- Theme Sentence
- Paraphrase thesis statement using different words.
- Supportive Phrases
- Recap the major themes
- Clarify the connection of concepts.
- End remarks
- Final statement.
- Connection to introduction.
- Readers get closure.
Thus, students must learn how to make a conclusion paragraph interesting and leave the readers with essential points to think about.
Words to sum up
Your research paper requires a firm conclusion to emphasize the major points and reveal the impact of the analysis. Though it can be challenging to write a conclusion paragraph, it is a critical section since it leaves a lasting impression on the audience. Find an approach that works well for you while using a clear structure to compose the best conclusion.
Remember to factor in the essay type and target audience to set a clear direction for your conclusion. Let your last chance to impact your audience be worth the research and analysis. Therefore, use proper phrases, recap the major points and write a killer essay that impacts the target audience.